It is a well-documented fact that biking is good for your health. It strengthens your immune system and helps get you in the best shape of your life.
On the other hand, spending time with your beloved fur babies is also good for your health. Your pets help reduce stress and anxiety, as well as provide comfort and affection. According to research, pets can also help you be more active in your daily life.
And so, the dog trailer for bikes was invented! Now you can go on bike rides with your adorable pup in tow. Having a dog trailer for your bike provides a lot of benefits. Not only does it keep your dog close when you are outdoors, but it is also extremely convenient and safer for you both.
Dog trailers are perfect for those dogs who can no longer run alongside their owners. It is also great for those dogs with mobility issues and walking disabilities.
There are plenty of dog trailers available to choose from. The only difference between them is quality, practicality, features, and price.
It can be tough to choose which one is the best dog trailer for you to use. This is especially true because we all have different needs in terms of practicality, safety, and portability. And so do our dogs.
We will take a look at what you need to consider when choosing a dog trailer and recommend some of the best dog trailers for bikes to help you make your choice.
A Buying Guide to Dog Trailers for Bikes
Here are a few key points you need to remember when buying a dog trailer for bikes.
- Affordability – is the dog trailer within your budget? As previously mentioned, there are plenty of dog trailers available, and all are at a different price. Choose the one that is well within your budget without compromising the quality.
- Safety – is it sturdy and strong enough to provide maximum safety for your dog? The safety features of a dog trailer depends on what kind of materials were used, the design of the trailer and the safety measures installed.
- Air ventilation – can your dog breathe while inside the trailer? Is it comfortable for your dog? Most dog trailers features mesh air ventilation so your pup can breathe while inside.
- Assembly – is it easy enough to assemble on your own? How much time will assembly take? Majority of the dog trailers available are easy to attach to bikes. These come with their own set up instructions to serve as your guide. Some larger companies also have their own customer support which you can call if you need any help.
- Portability – can you take the dog trailer everywhere you go? Can it fit in the trunk of your car? Is it easy to store? A lot of dog trailers are collapsible and easily foldable so you can bring it anywhere with you. This makes it easy to travel with your dog.
We have done some research to help you find the most suitable dog trailer for you and your pup. Here are our recommendations.
The Best Dog Trailer for Bikes
Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
The Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer is one of the most affordable dog trailers available today. It is made from high-quality materials that are sturdy enough to carry pets weighing up to 50 lbs. Here’s why we like it:
- Versatile and fits most bike frames – this dog trailer features a coupler that attaches easily to almost any bike frame.
- Plenty of air ventilation – if you are worried about your dog not getting enough air, this dog trailer features plenty of air ventilation for a comfortable ride.
- Safety guaranteed – the Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer also comes with an internal leash that’s adjustable. This keeps your loveable pooches from leaping out. A safety flag is also included in the package.
- Easy assembly – assembling this trailer is easy. Simply roll it out, unfold and attach it to your bike.
- Portable – the best thing about this dog trailer is it is incredibly portable. It doesn’t take a lot of space because you can easily fold it down thanks to its unique folding frame.
- Plenty of storage space – it also provides you with an additional storage space that can carry up to 12 lbs. This is a great place to store pet toys, food, and water.
- Affordable – sure, it is not as big as some of the other dog trailers, but it is the most affordable one we have found.
Compared to other dog trailers which can cost you around $200 to 300, the Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer is more affordable. It is the perfect choice if you are on a budget but still want to give your dog a comfortable ride outdoors.
For more information regarding the Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer, you can check the price on Amazon.
Aosom Elite Pet Bike Trailer
The Aosom Elite Pet Bike Trailer is another incredible trailer you can use. It takes only a few minutes to set it up and attach it to your bike.
It also helps protect your pup in the rain thanks to the clear plastic cover. Your fur baby will truly enjoy spending time outdoors in this trailer. Here’s why we like it:
- Maximum air ventilation – this dog trailer from Aosom features a mesh zippered screen on the front and the back and sides for more air flow.
- Assembly – you can set this trailer up within minutes and you are ready to go!
- Safety – with the 5-point safety harness, your dog will surely stay inside but still be able to move comfortably.
- Portability – this trailer only weighs 30 lbs and can easily be folded for convenient storage.
- Affordability – the Aosom Elite Pet Bike Carrier is good value for money considering its incredible features.
This dog trailer is perfect for small and large dogs. It can accommodate dogs weighing up to 66 lbs. Additionally, this trailer also features spacious storage for your pet supplies.
It is also versatile and can be used when jogging or as a bike trailer. How cool is that? For more details about this trailer, check it out on Amazon.
Solvit HoundAbout Pet Bicycle Trailer
The Solvit HoundAbout Pet Bicycle Trailer is famous for its comfortability. It’s sun proof and waterproof which makes it perfect for any type of weather. The soft cushion inside provides maximum comfort for your pup, making the ride more enjoyable for them.
This dog trailer is made from high-quality, premium grade materials. The 600d polyester features a waterproof floorboard that makes it both comfortable and durable. It comes in two sizes: medium and large. Here’s why we like it:
- Safety – this dog trailer features an adjustable safety leash for a more secure ride for your pup. It also features two zipper doors for easy access.
- Assembly – you can easily and quickly assemble this dog trailer. It also folds down easily for fast storage.
- Portability – thanks to its lightweight and rust-proof aluminum frame, this dog trailer is easy to transport. You can even fit it in small car trunks.
- Air ventilation – this dog trailer features multiple mesh screens at the front, back, and sides for maximum air ventilation for your dog.
- Affordability – this may come with a slightly more expensive price tag, but all of its features make it worth it.
You can also use this as a stroller for your pets if you are more into walking or jogging. Cleaning is also a breeze, you can easily use a damp cloth or a sponge to wipe the windscreen and cloth cabin. The soft cushion inside is machine washable and dries fast and easy at low heat.
Additionally, this dog trailer also features multiple pockets for storing necessities such as water bottles, treats, leashes, and more. If you need additional support, you can always contact their customer service. For more information about this product, check it out on Amazon.
These are our recommendations for the best dog trailers for bikes to help make your choice easier. Owning a dog trailer is perfect to help your senior or disabled dogs get around.
According to research, dogs who spend time outdoors with their owners are healthier and happier. We have also heard from lots of dog owners who say that having a dog trailer has given their fur babies a new sense of joy.
Take Your Dog On Wheels!
As a pet owner, these are great investments not just for your dogs and cats, but for yourself as well. It is a great motivation to go outdoors on a daily basis and spend some quality time with your pet. You’re not only getting some exercise in, but you are also creating a stronger bond with your furry best friend.